Sunday, September 2, 2018

Etrian Odyssey X: Diary 6

This time...
-7th Dungeon
-Leftovers of the previous mini-dungeon
-Mini-dungeon (Heavenly Cherry Blossom... or something like that)





So first off, I went and finished off one of the mini-dungeon bosses I avoided until now.
And... well, since I put him off for a dungeon, I was clearly over-leveled and successfully defeated him while half-asleep. His big "party-damaging ice attack" didn't even do half of my party's HP. So yeah, no challenge anymore here.
I believe he is pretty similar to Etrian Odyssey 4, but I recall that he switched between summoning smaller Chameleon in the back and front in 4, but he now only summons them in the front?

He turns invisible, counters any attack that misses him while invisible with a binding attack, and does a party-damaging ice attack when he turns himself visible. Outside of that, he occasionally lowers the attack of your entire party, making him just that much more annoying.
Apparently, he can also poison your entire party, but I don't recall him doing that (because I was dozing off).


Next is the new mini-dungeon.
Despite being unlocked after the cherry blossom dungeon, this one uses the same gimmick and appearance. However, I felt that this one required a bit more problem-solving to get to the boss than the main dungeon.
Also, while there is no unique FOE in this mini-dungeon, there is a unique enemy, the moth type. He does the "status ailment -> powerful attack" thing and it was actually pretty scary. Unlike being blinded, being confused makes it far harder to avoid the upcoming attack...

Oh, and the boss is Alraune. I haven't fought her yet.



Finally is the 7th dungeon, which takes the shape of the first dungeon in Etrian Odyssey 2. Since most or all first dungeons are very green in its appearance, it did take me a fight or two to be certain which game it came from. The enemies/FOE were quite telling.

The first is the bat FOE... and the most... memorable FOE. Because this guy will become alert when you enter his room and then chase you forever until you leave the floor. Even if you change rooms, he will fly past walls and chase you and chase you. And if you defeat him, he will magically, instantly respawn on your next step in his original position. He only moves once every two turns though.
Of course, due to this, he is quite weak for a FOE and you can use him to EXP-grind. Unfortunately, since you can't get multiple FOE in a single battle easily, he isn't as efficient as Snow Wolf in that sense.

In battle, he only has two skills. One that Head-binds your entire party and one that randomly does damage and heals him. Nothing too scary. More of a nuisance than danger.



And then the other FOE is the T-Rex.
Just like in Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold, you can lure him into a pitfall, which temporarily entraps him and does some damage.
He has surprisingly weak sight, so you don't actually have to use the gimmick sometimes.

In battle, you get the advantage of him not being able to move and feet-binded for several turns. He lowers your defense and can do spreading damage + paralysis, but overall, he isn't too scary.
More importantly is that his normal drop provides a very good light armor and his special drop provides the strongest sword available at that point. And his special drop is simply by defeating him with a Cut attack.
So it is quite valuable to fight him a few times.



And for the boss
Yup, Chimera.
I have to say it has been a while since I have had a challenge against a boss. I ended up using almost all of my items, including an Amrita II. I also gamed over once.
I had two problems with him...
1.
Every several turns, in-between turns, he lowers the defense of your entire party. A good number of my characters die in one hit in this state.
2.
He has an attack that hits 3 to 7 times randomly, which also causes Curse. The big problem is that this attack can hit the same person more than once. And if you are unlucky, not only could you get hit 7 times, but they could all hit the same person. And if they barely survive, they could kill themself through the Curse.
And once a unit accidentally dies from this, you have a hard time getting back on your feet and eventually game over...

And that is why I gamed over the first time. After accidentally dying a few times, I was eventually unable to get my party back to its feet.
The second time, I put SP to fully teach my Nightseeker Swift Edge. Because I wanted to defeat him as quickly as possible before he pulls a 7-hit jackpot on my party. The only problem is that Swift Edge really eats up TP... and that is why I had to use my Amrita II. At this point, you can easily get Amrita I though, so I don't think it should be much of a loss... maybe.
And as I planned, I was able to push through before he pulled off too many hits. Unfortunately, I had one dead character at the end of battle. I ran out of Nectar and could not revive her because my Medic had her head bound.


Head bound?
Yes... You see, one of the gimmicks of Chimera is that he will use this Roar every several turns. When he does, all of the bat FOE on the map will start moving towards you. And they move every turn instead of their usual every 2 turns. And they will eventually join the battle.


They hardly do any damage, but you'll practically be head-bound the remaining of the battle because they will constantly spam that move.
Which is why I ended up using most of my items. Because I couldn't heal any other way.

And yes, in retrospective, I should have bought and equipped the accessory to increase my resistance to head-binds.


And here are my characters upon victory over Chimera.
I updated my equipment, but I only took a few new skills upon my first loss against Chimera. And yeah, due to a lack of material and stinginess, I didn't fully upgrade some of my new weapons. I'll think twice about that next time...





No comments:

Post a Comment