Monday, December 3, 2018

Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna Main Story Finished!

I still have to beat the extra Unique/Named monsters, but at least I cleared the main story before Smash Bros. To be honest, I was slightly hesitant to do so, because you know... *sigh*



Anyways, thoughts and obviously spoilers below...



Well, it feels bad. Good, but bad. Even despite knowing how it was going to it, it brought tears to my eyes.
The part where camera zooms from Jin to the invading army, the part where Jin burns his past and talks to Azurda, the part that shows time flying by, all with that song in the background. Brilliant, just brilliant. So powerful. All so powerful.
And that is where I must point out the importance of how you show a story, depict a story. A good story is important, but the way you show it increases or decreases how convincing it is. Needless to say again but I will, but this is one game that did that right.

Story
I have to say that I am kinda surprised how short the story is, if you took out the side-quests. There are just a few major points in the story and a good amount of the time is devoted to being forced to clear side-quests in order to get to the next one...
But if you play the game, you can tell that this is for a reason. Despite what I said above, I didn't find it a pain or anything. In fact, I ended up clearing ALL quests before fighting the final boss.
To be honest, because of how everything plays out, you could even say that the side-quests are just a part of the main game. Not really "side".
It was especially great when you reach the final quests of the game, where you finally, FINALLY get to save the sick girl. And the thumbnail for the quests is a picture of the entire group. Wow.
And I have to say, I was wondering and anticipating all along for the moment the sick girl's quests appears. Because I knew that they wouldn't add such a character into the game without preparing a story for her.
And then Torna is destroyed.
...
Of course, based off the story, it is likely that a fair number of the side-characters survived.
...
......Until the big invasion occurs and... yup. Monolith Soft knows this. That is why they showed the camp along with Lora and co. before zooming to the invaders.

Also, there were occasionally side-characters that are mentioned by name or location in the main game, which is pretty cool and a good detail.
Of course, big surprises like the handyman being part of a bad group in his past or the big merchant being the mastermind behind that quest that you couldn't proceed with for a long time was cool too.

It also helps that the characters speak individually for the side-quests. In the main game, the characters just said stock lines prepared for them, but in this one, they have specific lines in specific quests. Of course, this is because there are no infinite number of combinations of characters, unlike the main game, thus making it doable.

Battle
I like the refined battle system, but I'm not really going to say I prefer one over the other. The lack of characters and thus combinations makes your battle strategies limited for instance. However, getting to play with three characters per party also gives you a lot you can do. On top of that, you have active skills and support ones.
So I say that both battle systems are good in different ways.
However, I never really ended up using those limited skills, like sacrificing your HP for skill recasts or sacrificing your skill recast to stop your opponent. Battles are just so busy that I didn't really get around to using them. Also, you don't really need to use them to beat the main game.

Other Stuff
I usually don't say much about music and graphics unless something really motivates me to speak about that. In other words, if I don't say anything about them, that usually means I liked them.
*sigh*
LOOK at these models. So good! And then you go to other games and you just can't help compare. Why do fanservice games have worse models?
I say, Xenoblade 2's wonderful... and sexy characters will stay with me for a long time.


...10/10. Monolith Soft definitely nailed DLC this time. Yes, indeed. Nothing retarded like money for class changes and you know, all that stuff. Yeah, you know what game I am talking about. And that is enough to make me have to think about it on whether I should buy the upcoming game.
On the other hand, I am ready for Monolith's next game. In the meantime, I will worship this one for a bit...

PS: I'm still slightly amused Lora is 27 years old. *remembers her "zukyuunn my heart" scene in the cabin*
PPS: I'm also slightly amused when I see Haze use her staff physically, since her appearance and everything points to a healer/mage, but when she switches in, she jumps and slams the enemy with her staff. I actually chuckled a little when I first saw her do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment