Monday, April 19, 2021

Monster Hunter Rise: Thoughts and Impressions

Sorry about not posting for so long. I originally planned to buy Bravely Default 2, and that would have got me to write something about it, but I ended up kinda going "Meh" towards it, and ended up not buying it.  Pyra came out for Smash and that was awesome and literally the only Smash DLC I've ever bought and I got busy playing that. And then Monster Hunter came out.

Still planning to get Rune Factory 5. Not sure about Pokemon Snap. And that's all for now, really. Huh, kinda lonely. Where is Megami Tensei 5?! Etrian Odyssey?! You give us these teasers and no follow-up.

Also hopefully, as I am still playing Monster Hunter, I will finish the last two routes of Nukitashi before the localized version comes out, so I can say a few words. Yeah, this is an R18 visual novel game, so most people reading this probably doesn't care about that type of stuff.


While Monster Hunter isn't one of those games that has an "end", I have now played over 150 hours (actually 166, it seems), so I definitely think I can say something about it.

Also, I don't really think there are any spoilers. Not that I think Monster Hunter stories really have a story that could be ruined with spoilers, outside of maybe spinoff games.



So, I'm just gonna go ahead to what I think is wrong about the game.
Because what is right about the game is really just the usual Monster Hunter stuff. I haven't played World, but I think the new game engine is fine enough. I'm sure there are strong weapons and weak weapons, but all of these are the usual Monster Hunter stuff.

So yeah, the biggest problem with this game is that there just isn't that much content. I'm the type that goes around making different equipment sets for specific monsters, so I can kinda add up some more play time, but when the story LITERALLY ends with "Oh, something will happen in the future and let's not let our guard down" with no real closure, you know there is a problem.

Apparently in World, they updated the game, which they also plan to do with Rise, but let's face it. That just means they sold an incomplete game and decided to fill it up more later. What the game has is good in quality, though. Just that it lacks the quantity.
Also, there is like two elder dragons in the entire game, who are both bosses, with one not really even a normal quest.

It just seems from now on, Capcom is gonna just go with this format. All I can hope is that none of these updates cost money. Who knows, maybe if they release the G-rank for free, then that would actually kinda make this format worthwhile, since we all had to buy a new game every time they released a +G-rank version of a game.

Also, this is a game balance problem that can't be ignored, but Sharpness is waaay too hard to use. There are too little ways to get the skill, maybe weapons with default white or long green way much too viable. Heck, even Shield and Sword's most viable pick is the non-element Nargacuga weapon.
It is a lonely game when almost every weapon just throws away elemental damage.

Finally, the achievements you can do in-game are so juvenile. Get S-rank on all Arena quests? Get all smallest and biggest of every monster? No.
In Rize, you collect 1000 gold bugs. You talk to all NPC.
What's funny is that there is an achievement for doing all low-rank quests... and NONE for high-rank quests! That is really, really not even hard!

Apparently there will be some more information on the update in the coming days, so let's hope for the best and in the meantime, I will... umm... just randomly hunt stuff.

Anyways, here is my weapon usage chart to end this post. And yes, Longswords are OP.

2 comments:

  1. finally an update, always love to see your post about mh-related stuff...

    how about patch 2.0 ? and yes, the new awards still not hardcore enough... no crown related... maybe they will finish it in patch 3.0...

    keep playing and stay healthy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2.0... Well, let's just look forward to 3.0. 2.0 honestly added some content that shouldn't have been missing from the game in the first place, like Elder Dragons and HR7+.

      Delete