Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Prison Princess: Complete and Review

So there goes my first escape game. Not really currently playing much now, just Gunvolt. Looking forward to Rune Factory 5, Megami Tensei, and Xenoblade this year.



BTW, the localized version is available for download too:
https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/prison-princess-switch/

Since one image in this article has pantyshots, I guess you can say reading more is NSFW.




So overall, I had a fun experience, but I'm left wondering if this is worth 20$. I've never played any other escape games before, so I can't really compare.
As for Prison Princess, the overall playtime to complete the game is... 10 hours at most, perhaps?
So again, enjoyable game, but maybe a little short?

So we are all here for the fanservice. One of the selling points of this game is the fanservice.
How is the fanservice?
Pretty good. It didn't feel forced, the character designs are cute, and I guess you can say it is nutrition for your brain after using energy to solve the puzzles. In general, you can only touch the girls during interactive puzzles. I think that they will react with dialogue the first two times you touch them, per puzzle.
Outside of the puzzles, it is mostly just pantyshots and the sort. Something to enjoy softly, perhaps you can say.



And then of course, you have the puzzles. I think most of them are intuitive enough that you can figure out how to proceed in the game without having to look at a guide, but there was actually one item interaction I could not figure out.
There was also one puzzle where I did not know where the hint was, but I still managed to guess correctly blindly.

Also, since there are two girls and an affection meter...
When you clear a puzzle normally, the affection meter of the girls increase. Touching a girl during the puzzles will instead decrease their affection. There are also certain items in the game that really have no use but to lower the girls affection... (though since each girl reacts to any items in your inventory, I guess you can say those items exist to see them react to the items).
There are five ends, depending on whether you have gotten certain items (optional to clear the game) and if a girl or if both girls' affection meters are at 100%. However, pretty much only one of the endings is a happy end and the others are fairly bad or "normal". Well, from the protagonist's point of view, I'd just say those are bad.
What's funny is that since touching the girls during the interactive puzzles makes their affection meter drop and since most players will at least touch them in the first playthrough to see their reactions, in a way, it is impossible to get the best ending in your first playthrough.



Finally, on the UI aspect, I think there is nothing to complain about. You have the skip feature, log feature, auto feature... You know, the stuff that visual novels all have. There is no scene skipping, but the text skipping is considerably fast and there aren't really any scenes long enough to care about scene-skipping.


Hmm, so fanservice, the girls, the puzzles, the UI. I think that's all, really?
Like I said, if you are willing to spend the money on some guilty pleasure, I think it is a fine purchase. A little bit pricey for its length, perhaps, but hey, I don't think there are any fanservice + escape games on the Switch other than this, so it is an only-one.

No comments:

Post a Comment