Saturday, January 15, 2022

Megami Tensei V: Done + Thoughts!

Finished the Chaos and the true route!

Technically, I did not do the Law route, but I can tell what will happen if I do, so I think I am good now. Pokemon Arceus coming up too!



So overall, I think it is a well-done game, and if you like RPGs, you should play it. But there is one problem, and that is with the story.

The thing is that around the mid-way point, it just feels really rushed. As a result, the human characters especially felt poorly developed. I think the demons aren't as bad, and their character development is satisfactory, but the humans, like the Law and Chaos Hero, are so... just there. Miyazu has almost no screen time at all, and her entire character development comes from a few sub-quests. On top of that, it kinda just starts at the climax and doesn't build up to it either.

And Tao? There was a priest in this game that almost plays the same role, basically, so... Pretty unfortunate there too.

I'd say that up to the end of Lahmu's arc, the story was doing fine. But afterwards, too rushed.

Also, kinda partially the result of this, but there aren't big differences between each route, because the part where the routes separate is near the end of the game. So no matter which route you go, only the end-game bosses change.


However, like I said, that was the only problem. The demon models are great, the fields are vast and lots to explore, Nuwa is beautiful. Music is great.

I also like that the Law and Chaos of this game is a lot more... social? Like social law and chaos. In previous games, they were extremely... extreme, with angels brainwashing and demons killing everyone because they have power, but the story in this one felt different compared to those.


And the true boss of this game, Shiva, is weak against Ice, so raising the ultimate Mermaid just because you want to actually really pays off.


I also raised the normal Nuwa along with the snake version, just for the sakes of it and her awesome legs.


Also, I guess I should kinda talk about the DLC.

None of them are needed. You get enough money, Miracle, etc you need in-game, and you also get about 10 to 11 Gospels (allows protagonist to instantly level-up) each play-through. In the last dungeon, you can farm to at least Lv80 pretty easily, especially if you use the Genma Magatsuhi, and then use Gospels to level up the rest.

The Fiends, Cleo, Mephisto, seen them all before in previous games. Haven't played Megami Tensei 3 either. So that just leaves Altemis, but meh. Like her design, but not going to pay extra money for her.


So all in all, a great game, though I do see noticeable points where it could have improved.

No comments:

Post a Comment