Sunday, September 23, 2018

Etrian Odyssey X: Diary 8

Yeah, it took me two weeks to get through the next dungeon.
There is a game I am playing whose service ends in a few days (that is where I got the names of my characters in my main party in EOX), thus I wouldn't be able to play it anymore, so I've been spending a lot of my time doing what I want and getting some videos.
I also tried sucking out the audio from that game, but I couldn't really do it. Found some instructions, but all of them were too old and any attempts at accessing the audio failed. So yeah, sucks there. But I did get around 200 videos from the game since starting it and all and I did get the soundtrack, so I'm pretty satisfied.
BTW, the music in that game is godly. Here is my Top 10, BTW
https://youtu.be/_f_7kfsESMk


ANYWAYS, back on topic.
This time will be on the
-9th dungeon
-Mini-dungeon (Buried Ruins)







So first, the mini-dungeon.
You go into it with a couple of not-really-useful-I-don't-even-remember-what-they-do NPC trying to look for a unicorn.
And as you can see, it is a normal map with no map gimmicks.


On the other hand, it revolves around a FOE gimmick.
This guy. Yup, the "yellow light" of the traffic light trio from Etrian 4 is back. In each of the major rooms, you will have a number of these FOE spread out. And when they see you, they will try to run away from you. And if they bump into another one of these FOE, they merge and transform into that big version of them.
THEN, they proceed to chase you at double-speed.
I'm sure there is another way to get past them, but I personally found it easier to just fight them one by one.

You see, in the melted form, they do absolutely nothing in battle. So you can hit the auto button and win. And even if there is another melted version near you, they will not enter battle or fuse with the one that is in battle.

As for the fused, big version... It actually isn't that hard to fight. You see, similar to Etrian 4, they only have two attacks: Their basic normal attack or a Volt attack. And the Volt attack isn't really even that strong in attack power. Then what is dangerous?
The Volt attack hits your entire party and paralyzes. So eventually, you won't be able to move and heal and you'll get killed by a 2nd hit.
But you see, this means all you have to do is negate Volt attacks throughout the entire battle and you won't have a chance of dying.

...But this guy has one more trap up his sleeves. You see, when he is about to die, he splits himself into 4 melted versions. Then, the next turn, he fuses back together, FULLY HEALED.
So yup, I fought him and almost defeated him when he split apart and fused together again. And then I gave up because I had absolutely no TP left. Meh.


BTW, the boss of the mini-dungeon is this guy from Etrian 5. And no, he is too powerful at the moment. One hit deaths.




So then we have the 9th dungeon.

The 2nd original dungeon in this game, I was kinda surprised that the dungeon itself looks pretty similar to the 1st, including the use of the height-difference gimmick. However, the FOE are different and thus the FOE-related gimmicks are different, so it really isn't that much of a repeat of the 1st dungeon as it first looks.

Also, if you have been properly equipping the "share EXP with all Guild members" item from the time you get it, by the time you get to the boss, your Guild members should now be past 40 and thus can learn all of their skills.
What this means is your money-grinding party can now finally be complete. I personally use a party of 5 farmers, but once they learn their Veteran skills, you can finally start efficiently farming for money.
With their Veteran skills, I can get around 50 materials from just 2 gathering spots. And half of those materials will be rare materials. And by selling just the material from the 2 gather spots, I at least gain 30000 EN. Yeah, so from this point in the game, you officially no longer have to worry about money.


The first FOE you meet is the rolly-polly-like FOE.
He normally hides in a shell and can be pushed, and you are supposed to push him to make bridges or block other FOE. However, if you push him three times, he wakes up and starts chasing after you.

He is actually the strongest FOE in this dungeon despite being the first you meet. The reason is that he has both powerful attacks and tricky ones.
He has an attack that hits your entire party for surprisingly high damage.
And then he has a move that confuses your entire party and gives your normal attacks Volt element. Yup, he also has a Counter move that causes him to counter any elemental attack.

Normally, if you use a physical skill, you can ignore the Counter move. But your confused characters will either attack you and hurt you, or they will attack the FOE with a Volted normal attack and get killed by the Counter.
And what especially is nasty is, obviously, he is weak to all of the non-physical elements.

He will always use the Counter on the next turn after giving you the Volt buff, but he also Counters randomly, it seems. Anyways, nasty guy all-around.



The next FOE is everyone' favorite sheep.
Ahh, the days of feeding him food to make him shiny and hunting him...
As for this game, he tries to put your party to sleep and them "Dream Eater" you. If you are asleep, his Dream Eater will take out most of your character's TP along with high damage.

What's nasty about him is that even if you are not asleep, Dream Eater is strong enough to nearly kill you in one hit. And when his HP is low enough, he will use another move that hits strongly to your entire party.
That said, as long as you have a way of healing your Sleep and heal properly, he is fairly doable. Just not a pushover.

As for on the map, he moves in a set path. But if you move the rolly-polly FOE to block part of his path, he changes his set path. The only thing is that I'm not really sure if there is a rule that determines his changed path, so I had a hard time figuring out a way to get past him without just beating him up.


Finally, you get the scorpion FOE from EO... 5? I know he is in 5, but I can't remember if he appeared in any of the previous games before 5.
He is usually idle, but if you get in the same line as him (infinite sight?), he becomes alert and starts chasing you. You can use the rolly-polly FOE to block his line of sight though.

As for in battle...
I'm not really sure what to say. He's just so underwhelming. He can bind you, but his only real way of killing you is through an attack that hits multiple times and can hit the same person more than once.
But he has to use that move and it still has to hit the same person multiple times before you get a death.
...And that's really it.Compare to the other two, he not only lacks trickiness, but he also lacks power.



And finally you get the boss
As this is an original dungeon, the boss is also a new monster. But one thing to beware of is that while most dungeons will warn you before you entered the boss room for a boss fight, this one does not. Thankfully, I left the dungeon to save the moment I opened the shortcut. But I'm sure a good number of people innocently entered the room only to go straight into the battle, die, and lose progress,


Let me just say that around 1/4th of the battle, I realized that I did not have ANY healing items with me. I only had two strings for escaping the dungeon. It seems I forgot to get the items I put in storage for money-farming.

But I still won.

The thing with this boss is that he is actually... how do I say it. He tries to do so much, but he ends up getting little done.
You see, he has four main damaging attacks.
-Volt on your entire party
-Ice on your entire party (plus halves your offensive power)
-Normal physical attack
-Pierce (plus lowers accuracy)
Only the elemental attacks do devastating damage, but which element he uses is determined by the physical attack he does the previous turn. Yeah, you can't really predict the physical attack, but none of them will kill in one hit, meaning you just have to take those in and negate the elemental one that comes afterwards.

And then, he occasionally changes modes in-between turns.
One mode is just him giving himself a defensive buff, which means you can easily negate it by debuffing his defenses constantly.
The other mode is a "Heal Mode" where he stops attacking and heals himself for up to three turns. But if you deal enough damage, you can cancel that mode.

Finally, depending on his HP, at the end of certain turns, he will cast a specific status ailment on your entire party.

As you can see, he heals, cast status ailments, cast debuffs, and he can do heavy damage. But because his major attacks are predictable, as long as you can continue to heal as needed, you will eventually wear his HP down.
Heck, since I didn't have any TP-healing items, my Zodiac actually couldn't negate his elemental attacks mid-way, but I still won by surviving his elemental attacks and healing afterwards. Thankfully, I was able to defeat him before my Medic used up his TP.

I guess it all helped that I had the most updated equipment so far thanks to the money farming.


Finally,
My party upon defeating him. I wouldn't say I am over-leveled, because the rolly-polly FOE still had a yellow aura at the time of the boss battle. But due to the money-farming, all of my characters had either optimal or near-optimal (due to materials missing...) equipment. Heck, my Hero even was able to get his end-game unique armor (from Golem).
On the other hand, I got almost no new skills from the last boss battle. So I have characters that have over 20 SP available and all.









No comments:

Post a Comment