Sunday, August 26, 2018

Etrian Odyssey X: Diary 5

6th Dungeon
No new mini-dungeon this time
And due to my trauma of the Chameleon from Etrian Odyssey 4, I haven't actually tried that mini-dungeon boss either.
...I did defeat the Chameleon FOE, but I did the battle while half-asleep... and actually dozed off a little, so I don't remember what I was thinking at that time. So I'm not going to really talk about that FOE. (´・ω・`)





There is actually not that much to say this time, because this dungeon is pretty similar to what it was like in Etrian Odyssey... Untold 2, I think. It has been a while, so I am working on foggy memory.
That said, most likely because this is a reused dungeon, there are only 3 floors again.

In short summary, you go through the stage avoiding FOEs and using the floating pad gimmick (the ones that go in one direction depending on the direction you were going in when you stepped on it).
HOWEVER, one thing to beware of is that if you take a certain quest that becomes available when you reach 2nd floor, you will be forced to fight three battles before you can get to the shortcut. Kinda a trap, I personally feel.

The first FOE you meet in this dungeon is the birdman thing.
It has two attacks:
One that does massive damage but has very low accuracy
And another that hits your entire party and blinds them
As you may expect, he tries to blind your party and then use the 1st attack on the blinded characters, assuring a hit and a certain death. In fact, I think he specifically targets blinded characters.
To be honest, the 1st attack isn't really a problem since it only hits one person at a time and usually won't hit you if you heal the Blind status ailment. The main problem is that his second attack is surprisingly painful for a "set-up" attack.

Oh, and as far as dungeon movement goes, he travels 3 spaces per step and ignores all terrain. While this is simple, his speed makes him unavoidable if you miscalculate his movements while in a straight-line path.



And the other FOE is the rhino.
On the map, if you are directly in line with him AND there is no hole between you two, he will spend the next steps as so: Alert -> Charge all the way until he hits a wall or falls down a hole -> Idle -> Charges back to his initial position.
So at times, you will have to lure him into falling into a hole so that you can get passed him. It isn't too hard to avoid battle with him, though some parts of the map will force you to build a path to let him fall into a hole.

In battle, he mainly just uses a normal attack or a piercing attack. Loyal to his appearance, his attacks hurt. But they are still simple enough, as long as your back row doesn't die in one hit.
HOWEVER, if you bind him, he will use a move that heals himself, removes the bind, and increases his ATK. So you can't bind him.
Apparently he uses this move even if you don't bind him when his HP is low enough, but I put him to sleep when his HP was low enough to kill him in two turns, so I didn't experience it myself.

BTW, I'm pretty sure he is exactly the same (except maybe stats) as he was in his last game appearance.



And finally, the boss.
Which probably is also predictable at this point. By the way, I'm repeating "predictable" too much by now, but I don't mean that in a bad way. I'm just saying that to use up words on the page.

Anyways, the harpy.
So basically, she only has one lethal attack and it hits your entire party, but it is only lethal if a character has a status ailment or a bind. It does little damage normally.
Naturally, she will constantly try to cast a status ailment or bind on your entire party. And she occasionally uses a move that will lower your resistance to status ailments/binds, but this move is actually used in-between turns. A number of these moves also hurt you in the process, but they are nothing you can't heal unless you are really underleveled.
Also, due to her attack pattern, she will use her lethal attack on certain turns regardless of your party's conditions, including the first turn, which is a warning and hint to veteran players.

For me, I actually defeated it on my first try.
The Medic has a passive skill that increases her chance of healing status ailments/binds at the end of the turn, including the first turn, so she remained pretty safe most of the time. Also, at the Veteran Skill level, the Medic learns "Heal Deja Vu" buffing skill, which recasts the healing skill that a character received the previous turn while with the "Heal Deja Vu" buff.
The only problem here is that she uses both status ailments and binds, so sometimes I would predict a status ailment and use that healing skill, but she ends up using binds instead. The boss's binding/ailment-ing rate actually isn't as high as I would expect.



And here is my team when I beat her. As you can see, I took some Veteran Skills and switched a few pieces of armor, but I did not actually refresh my weapons. I didn't grind to beat this boss, but I still managed to beat her. That said, I did end up using a couple of Amrita, which might have been avoidable if I had newer weapons.
As for the Veteran Skills I took, their effects in this battle...
Hero -> I actually didn't use any of those skills since they use up too much TP
Zodiac -> TP Cut helped save a lot of TP and I didn't have to heal her TP thanks to it
Nightseeker -> Poison was the only status ailment I could get on her...
Medic -> Heal Deja Vu helped out greatly
Ronin -> Thanks to the passive skill that heals her TP at the end of the turn if she is in a stance, I think she still had near full TP by the end of battle (the cost of the moves I used were all the same or less than the TP healed)







No comments:

Post a Comment